Sunday, November 9, 2008

Grandma Beecher

My dear Grandma Beecher was taken this past Friday when an SUV ran a red light and hit her car.

Growing up she was Grandma Atwood untill just a few years ago she asked that we refer to her as Grandma Beecher. This is because her first husband and only eternal compaion was Grandpa Beecher. After his death when my mom was only 19 years old, she later remarried Grandpa Atwood who later passed on as well. Although she loved him with all her heart, she was sealed to and wanted to be tied back to Grandpa Beecher. Who could'nt understand that...

I remember at least one time each summer growing up in Missouri we'd travel back to Utah to visit family. That was were most of our extended family still lived. We'd split our time between the Beecher side and Hill side. I have such great memories with both. I remember staying at Grandma Beecher's huge house. I can still remember the smell of it and sometimes find myself right back in her house when that smell will hit me in other locations over the years. That was one of my favorite things about her house, was the smell.

I remember having mini slumber parties with cousins and playing hide-n-seek in her basement. Which one of my cousins related had a scary room to it, the storage room. It's funny that I thought the same thing of that room too. I remember my cousin Lyle putting on a scary warewolf mask and chasing us around her house. Very scary for a little girl. I loved her "off limits" room that was right off the front door. It had white carpet and beautiful green furnishings, if my memory serves me right? I remember being told that room was not for play. It was one of those rooms that only the carefullest adults could even enter. It was beautiful and had an amazingly huge floral arrangement that could be seen from the road.

I loved sneaking into her, what I thought was the most lovely bedroom I'd ever seen. She had this huge white sheep skin rug next to her bed that I loved to walk on. I loved going into her bathroom that had this great three-way mirror you could see all angles of your hair in. I marveled at her being able to perm her own hair with the help of that mirror. She was the one who inspired me to learn how to do my own hair as well. I just remember thinking that this was the life for a woman. I loved sitting in the big dark wicker bar stools in her kitchen to eat my morning bowl of cereal.

I remember playing in her back yard with the family dog, Brew and acting out so many different types of games with my fun cousins. I remember all of us girls getting these really pretty little aprons and being waitresses for one of her great parties at her house. I remember always thinking Grandma looked so beautiful all of the time. I remember feeling let down and sad that she sold that house and moved from Ogden, Ut into Salt Lake City. I was sad that with so many wonderful times in that house with her and family, that nothing should ever change. I am so grateful for those times I had with her and hold them very dear to my heart. I can share those memories and stories, and many more with my own children to help them know her better.

I was lucky to have made a few treasured memories with her at her new home. I worked in SLC and sometimes the weather wouldn't allow for me to travel home to Provo. She always had her door open to me to crash on the couch or spare bedroom. I loved, once again, the same smell that followed her to her new home. I always knew that wherever Grandma was, great things would be there also. I know that she is now with her dear loved Grandpa Beecher who has waited a lifetime for her. I love her and will miss her, but will give them both great big hugs when I too go to join them.


Jason and Amy Caldwell
jabellac@hotmail.com

No comments: